Thursday, January 21, 2021

Day 65 - Preparation


There is a certain irony to the fact that Death Valley is currently one of the least deadly places in the nation.

It is also ironic that rain and snow are predicted for one of the hottest places on earth during my visit next week.

I found that my drivers license expired last week but was lucky enough to get an appointment for renewal tomorrow. In Utah if you miss the renewal date you get to start all over with a written test and eye exam. The test is 25 questions, open book, but people still manage to fail. Last time I was sitting next to a young guy who was struggling with one question. I leaned over and suggested that he read page 63 carefully. Couldn't help myself, we've all been there.

I got out my travel bag, an L.L. Bean boat bag. My technique is to start throwing things into the bag as I think of them. It minimizes the amount of stuff I forget and reduces the last minute stress. I still miss things but they're usually inconsequential.

Tent, sleeping bag and pad, pocket stove and pot, plus instant oatmeal. What more does one need? GPS, SPOT, first aid kit, RotoPax go into the truck. Stop at a grocery store for a couple of gallons of water and some snacks and I'm good to go.

Maps are handy. Look for those faint gray dotted lines across the desert and that's where I'm headed. Not that avoiding the crowds will be much of a problem on this trip. Everyone is frightened of their own shadow since it refuses to stay 6' away.

Full moon Thursday night. I'm planning on being on the Cerro Gordo road so I can get a picture of the moon rising over the mountains. I'll post photos when I return.

Which brings up the point, I'll be out of range for much of this trip. However, I'll have my little Chromebook with me and will keep up my writing even if I can't post it until I return to civilization.


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment