Friday, January 1, 2021

Day 45 - Fortune

New Year's Day is an artifice. Today is like yesterday and like tomorrow. Maybe the sun will linger a couple of minutes longer but the cosmos won't care. Astronomers will note that the earth has regained its place around the sun again but the exact point seems pretty arbitrary.

Astrologers will mumble something about Sagittarius but can't quite agree about Ophiuchus so who knows (or cares)?

It's a great time for a party with plenty of spirits to buoy the spirit and spirituality. We can all pretend the future will be different as the ball drops in front of an empty Times Square. Kiss the one next to you and hope for the best.

Make resolutions that will last at least a week and write them down so you can reuse them next year. No more carbs and lots more exercise. Eliminate all the bad choices with partners and become your own best friend. Maybe Madame Zuzu has the answer as she reads your palm while you cross hers with silver.

At UConn I used to hang out in New York City a lot. I would take a current or potential girlfriend with me and we'd cruise the bars and coffee houses of Greenwich Village. One stop I would always make was a fortune teller on Bleeker Street.

The first time we were just walking along and stopped in on a lark. The woman was as expected; old (probably no more than 50 at most but we were 20ish so she seemed old), heavy set, and dressed in the expected manner. She asked for no money but suggested a donation be left in her basket. 

My initial offering did not impress her and she glanced at my date with a look that left little doubt about the how the psychic revelations were going to go if I weren't more generous. I quickly enriched my contribution and was rewarded with revelations of love, happiness, and a successful bonding of spirits. I few drinks at the White Horse Tavern on Hudson and everything she said came true!

From that time forward I never took a date to NYC without happening to pass by the woman's store front. “Let's see what she has to say just for laughs.” The old crone and I became partners in this subterfuge, she predicted everything I hoped would come true and I rewarded her as handsomely as I could. I doubt the girls were fooled and were happy to play their part in a future they also had in mind.

Happy New Year


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment