Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Day 49 - Taxi II

When I drove taxi I was popular with the gay crowd in the South End (as opposed to South Boston which was the Irish ghetto). I treated them with respect and always came when they requested me. In time we got to know each other and had a lot of fun telling jokes and acting up.

One of my favorites was a transvestite named Trixie. She did a lip sync show at a club down in the Combat Zone. This was an area of hard core clubs, bars, and all night Chinese restaurants. She was always trying to get me to come down and see her act.

Finally, one night I said yes and she left my name at the door so that they would let me in without a hassle. Talk about stepping into a different world. Wow! The women in there were beyond gorgeous. I just stopped with my mouth open and gawked like some plow boy fresh off the farm. Seriously, I just about had to slap myself to pull it together.

I watched Trixie do her numbers with a backup chorus of hot babes. She spotted me from the stage and came running over to plant a sweet kiss on my cheek. I had picked her up (in my cab) many times but there was a world of difference when she was standing right in front of me in spectacular form.

What did you think?”

I blurted out something like, “You were amazing. Where did you learn to learn to sing like that?”

She giggled and wanted to flirt. I had a drink and was sociable but had to keep reminding myself - Not A Girl! - Not A Girl! - Not A Girl!

A few days later I got a request, “Cab 791 Your girlfriend Trixie wants you to pick her up at the Copley Plaza.” I wheeled around and got down there but didn't see her. I got out of the cab and looked around.

Over here J.”

I heard the voice but didn't see the girl. Then I got it, she wasn't in drag and looked like a regular guy. Holy Crap, what a switch that was. She sat up front and we chatted as I drove her home. I didn't ask and she didn't say anything about it. Just another day in the South End.

She was a normal person, not schizo in any way. I don't know how she handled the dual persona but I enjoyed our many discussions as we drove through the city late at night.


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment