Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Day 15 - Coco

It turns out to be harder to write all this than I expected. For a person who “talks too much” and “has a million stories”, I'm finding that it isn't so easy to organize my thoughts into something coherent and interesting. Who would have guessed?

I wrote about wanting to visit India and go for a ride with Gaurav Jani. Of course that plan has failed because Gaurav died a few months ago.

Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.

Time passes quickly and our plans slip through our fingers like water. One day we say “Tomorrow” and many tomorrows later we find we are stuck in the same old rut.

Today is yesterday's tomorrow.

I'm pretty good at making plans and following through but I can also be lazy and let things slide. Case at point:

A few years ago, 12 to be exact, my friend Marty and I rode our bikes to Baja. We had few plans other than to avoid getting arrested. We had a paper map and big gas tanks. We were happy.

One of the goals on the trip was to stop at Coco's Corner and meet the man, the myth, the legend. Alas, it was not to be. We were there but Coco was not. We hung out thinking he might return but while we waited a couple of hours it was not to be. I planned to return the next year but that was not to be either.

I was thinking of Gaurav today when Coco crossed my mind. Is he still alive? Is he still in residence? A quick Google search indicates that he is alive and doing well at the Corner.

Just as I challenged myself to write this blog, I now challenge myself to go back to Baja and find Coco in the spring. This time I will not let the opportunity fade from my grasp.

Want to come along? Let me know.


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment