Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Day 29 - Girls


By the time I got to high school there was nothing I was more afraid of than girls! I didn't worry about the bullies or the jocks, they were nothing compared to anyone in a skirt. My blood ran cold, my world got dizzy, and words came out of my mouth without benefit of any intervention by my brain.

Since then I have learned a few things although I can still make a fool of myself with blinding rapidity.

  1. Girls* are willing co-conspirators. Maybe I had watched too many John Wayne movies or maybe it was just the era I was brought up in but I thought that any interaction was something that I guy wanted but a girl didn't. Imagine my surprise to find out that girls liked kissing as much as guys. And were generally a lot better at it.

  2. Girls go for guys who are confident more than they do for guys who have flashy cars. Another surprise, they were just as mixed up about life and hormones as I was and wanted to be with someone who at least acted like they had a clue. Dropping my facade and being myself was the surest way to know which way I was going. Fast cars may have impressed other guys but caring and thoughtfulness impressed girls.

  3. Girls can be your friend. Despite thinking thinking they were an alien species sent from another universe to torment me, it turned out that they were quite pleasant to be around when you treated them as human beings. Not all of them of course but many of them liked the same things I did. Once I got past stammering out Hello I found they were happy to share a camping trip or a museum visit. The best part was that once the gender tension disappeared it was so much better for both of us.

Of course there was so much more to know. In fact, after all this time, I'm still finding out new things. That's what makes girls so wonderful!

* I use the term Girls from the perspective of a very young male. I was a boy, they were girls. We would become men and women in time but not yet.



Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment