Thursday, December 17, 2020

Day 30 - G/S



In 1980 BMW released the R80 G/S (Gelände/Straße - German: off-road/road). I was immediately taken by the concept and vowed to have one. While visiting friends on Martha's Vineyard I saw a guy ride up on a white one. I practically ran to catch up with him to talk about the bike. He was quite proud of it and willing to discuss it's power and handling.

Then he did something really amazing. He thrust his helmet at me and handed me the keys. “I have some shopping to do, why don't you take it for a ride and see for yourself.” Gasp! I replied that he didn't know me or anything about me. “You obviously know about bikes and you can't go far.” And with a wink, “Besides, I know when the ferry leaves!”

One of the most generous things that has ever happened to me. I slapped on the helmet and took off. Martha's Vineyard is a small island and I quickly found a wooded section where I could access the off-road prowess of the G/S. A few slides, a couple of jumps, and I was thinking I'd found the perfect motorcycle.

I also found myself getting a little too carried away with somebody else's brand new bike. I took it down a couple of notches and reluctantly headed back to return it. The owner was standing there with a grin as big as mine. “Wonderful bike isn't it!” I could only agree.

I never got his name or ever saw him again but I have never forgotten his warmth and charity to an unknown stranger. It would be a few years until I bought my Transalp, Honda's version of the G/S, but that's a story for another day.



Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment