Friday, March 12, 2010

Born to be Mild - The Mystery Continues


Herein I continue the adventure with the oil pumping CB650 from yesterday's post. Fearing the worst, I pulled the plugs on the CB650. I was imagining a blown or leaking head gasket that was passing enginee oil into the exhaust system. Although the engine ran fine when I put it away you never know about these things. To my surprise they all looked fine. If anything they looked a little lean to me. Certainly not wet and oil fouled as I would have guessed from the oil that was blowing out of the muffler.
To complete the inspection I took a compression reading with the results that follow:
CB650 Compression
#1#2#3#4
160135125140
As you can see nothing particularly weird there. The #1 cylinder is a little high which might be a clue that oil is getting to the rings and sealing better. So, today I'll pull the pipes and see what I can find.

Another thought I have is that this bike has a lot of emissions plumbing. Did I connect the wrong hose together that is pushing oil to places it shouldn't go? Tune in tomorrow folks for the further adventures of a baffled mechanic.

In the meantime if you have any thoughts or suggestions please leave them in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment