Monday, October 12, 2009

Ride report

Went out yesterday for a ride through the fall foliage. One of the benefits of living in the country is that it is all just outside my door. The big RS is a happy mount for this sort of meandering ride through the back roads of CT.

I passed the Bach Door in Chaplin and noted the usual 60 odd cruisers parked in the lot. This is the favorite hangout of the "Let's drink beer and make a lot of noise" crowd. Nice enough people the few times I've dropped in but not my scene generally.

Lots of colors and sunbeams later I arrived at The Vanilla Bean. Only 50 or so bikes here but there was every type of bike from vintage cafe to modern naked, full dress cruisers to full on rockets. More noise from people talking and laughing at the outdoor tables than from revving engines and shorty exhausts.

From there it was on to We-Lik-It ice cream stand. This was obviously a ride to fill the inner soul. However, the line was long and the servers slow so I decided to move on. Days are short and I'd rather be riding.

On the way back I remembered Murphy's Drive In on Rt 66 in Windham. Tina at Burt Ives Honda had recommended it so I stopped by for my ice cream fix. I talked to Casey who bought the place early this year. Bad time to buy a restaurant he said but he's committed to making a go of it. I must say it's a lot better than when Murphy built the place a couple of years ago. Better food and much better prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment