Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A Team Effort

 Went to see the new A-Team movie last night. I have to admit, it was everything I was hoping for. Rotten Tomatoes had this to say, "Consensus: For better and for worse, Joe Carnahan's big-screen version of The A-Team captures the superficial, noisy spirit of the TV series." Couldn't have said it any better myself.

I'm a movie guy, not a film guy. I go to theaters that sell Milk Duds and JuJuBe's, I run screaming if they are selling French pastilles in a metal tin. I'm not looking for a lot of depth, I'm looking for action, I'm looking for adventure, I'm looking for lots of fast cars and faster women!
The new A-Team movie has it all. Sure, there are a lot of incongruities and weird jumps in the story but who cares? Just about the time you're thinking of the absurdity of a tank flying through the air another zinger comes straight at you and gets your mind racing in high gear again. And, come on, Jessica Biel is not to hard to look at. But the main thing is that the A-Team is good, solid summer entertainment. Screw Avatar and all the phony message films that pander to political correctness (and expediency). I just want to have fun, and A-Team was the most fun at a movie I've had this year! Best of all, the ending is a setup for a sequel!

Since I've been trying to give equal time to women lately, let me tell you about a great girl caper movie I just saw via Netflix. St Trinian's is a movie about a girl's school about to go bankrupt. The girls turn to crime to save their school in a madcap series of misadventures that steals from so many other movies that you have to see it twice to get all the references. Crazy, laugh-a-minute with a plot that has so many zigs and zags that I doubt that the director ever really figured it out. Gemma Arterton who plays the princess in Prince of Persia is the "Head Girl". Non stop fun, absolutely no intellectual depth, enjoy the Milk Duds.

2 comments:

  1. Did you stay for after the credits for the A-Team...worth it for the extra gags at the end that pay homeage to the original actors who played Murdock and Face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missed that one, I'll have to check it out when I see it again. (and I will)

    ReplyDelete