Sunday, November 29, 2020

Day 13 - Favorite Motorcycle Movies

As soon as I say I ride motorcycles I often hear, “I loved that Fastest Indian movie.” And so do I. I have friends who knew Burt Munro and they say that the movie is pretty realistic for a Hollywood product. It compressed the events of several trips into one but it created a good story that made people happy so I say, Good Job!

There are other motorcycle movies that are equally good but have not had all the fanfare that Hollywood publicity creates. Here's a list of my favorites.

On Any Sunday is the classic of all motorcycle movies. It was made by Bruce Brown in 1971 as a follow up to his Endless Summer surfer movie. It was made by somebody who had the true feeling for motorcycling and really distilled the essence of the era. It has spawned several sequels by Bruce and his son but nothing equals the original.

As much as I like Sunday, it's not my choice for greatest motorcycle movie. That honor goes to Riding Solo To The Top Of The World, a 2006 film by Gaurav Jani. No film comes close to capturing the soul and spirit of the adventure traveler that this one does. It has inspired many of my own travels. Gaurav and I discussed the possibility of traveling together at some time but, regrettably, he passed away in May 2020 before I ever got to meet him. A reminder that life is short and tomorrow is never assured.

People often mention Long Way Round but I've never seen it. Free motorcycles, a camera/support crew, and a big budget reality show do not interest me.

Oh darn, I have a flat tire. Julio would you be so kind as to fix it for me? And Maria could you make us all a latté while we wait?”

Far more fun and infinitely more real is Mondo Enduro. A bunch of English riders on Suzuki 350 bikes go around the world before mobile phones and gps. What they had was an 8mm movie camera and paper journals to record their trip. They are out for fun and adventure before "Fun & Adventure" became a thing.

I've ridden through Baja several times and one of the high points was seeing the start of the Baja 1000. Dust to Glory is the movie that captures all the chaos and excitement of that race. It was filmed by Dana Brown, son of Bruce Brown, and shows that great film making runs in the family. Just be prepared for 97 minutes of unrelenting excitement!

Those are three of my favorites. Leave a comment if you want to share yours.


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment