Friday, November 27, 2020

Day 11 - Hiking



Went hiking today. The town I live in, Tooele, is in a valley between the Oquirrh and Stansbury mountain ranges. There is a road zig-zagging up the side of the Oquirrh to the east that I can see it from my living room. It's a service road for the power lines and I'm guessing that it's about 8-10 miles long and ~3500' elevation climb above the valley. It has been calling to me since I moved in.

Today we went looking for the bottom of that road. It's off an old mining road with a gate across it so we parked the car and climbed over the gate. In a mile or so we were under the power lines with no access in sight so we started bushwhacking up the side of the hills.

Came across a large deer carcass that must have been brought down by a mountain lion. Everyone has to eat and survival is a hard case. Mother Nature is not sentimental.

I chose to follow a deer track up the side while Beth chose a different path. When I was halfway to the top I looked around and saw that she was already ahead of me. Amazing woman!

An hour later we intercepted the service road which was our goal for the day. We followed it back down to see where it intersected the mining road. Much easier going down than climbing up! Next time we'll know where to start our climb.

I kept thinking about what a great trail this would make for the motorcycle but the mining company must have read my thoughts. Armco guard rails cut off all access to the area. I just don't see myself lifting my bike 4' into the air to get past them. There are plenty of legal places to ride all around here, this one will have to remain a hiking adventure.


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment