Thursday, September 11, 2014

Tool Time

If real estate is all about location, location, location then adventure travel is all about preparation, preparation, preparation! No detail is too insignificant to neglect. If you think about it you should do it. It's that simple.


I started with changing the oil and filter, then the fuel filter. That all went easier than it would have on my Transalp. If you haven't read my post on car vs motorcycle oil I recommend it. You can read it here.


To be really prepared I used only the tools I would be taking with me on the trip. Now is the time to find out that I'm missing something I need rather than when I'm broken down in the middle of nowhere.


This is also the time to figure out what is the best way to perform certain tasks. This is a new bike to me so I have no experience on which end of a fuel line is the best one to take off when tracking down a leak. Everything gets Loctite and tie wraps to make sure it's still with me for the entire trip.


Then began the real work, new shoes. The tires Eddy was using were Michelin Anakee II which are good tires but are 80/20 tires biased towards the street. I'm switching to Continental TKC-80 which is 40/60 in favor of dirt riding. I chose these over my favorite Dunlop 606 because I wasn't planning on anything that aggressive and I've always wanted to try the Contis.


So I found that I didn't have a valve core tool and hiked over to the parts store to get one. Then I found that the tire pump I had still works well, and still takes 200 pumps to fill the tire. Tomorrow I'll get to the back tire. That takes 350 pumps!


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment