Saturday, February 27, 2021

Day 90 - Dates

In high school I was beyond shy. I was frightened to death of girls and never went on a date or to any of the dances. I didn't have many guy friends either but I was straight A's in my engineering classes. A nerd's nerd even before anyone knew what a nerd was.

I was a big fan of movies like To Catch A Thief where Cary Grant was always so confident and sophisticated. I also liked all the Doris Day / Rock Hudson movies for the same reason. This led to one big problem, I knew how they acted right up to that moment where things started to get intimate and the camera panned up into the sky. Wait! What?

I finally started dating and was very popular. I did all the things I had seen in the movies. I took girls to fancy places and treated them like movie stars. The only problem was that none of the relationships ever lasted more than 3 or 4 dates. I was the perfect gentleman. Which is to say, BORING!

There was that problem, I didn't know what to do next. I'd take them home and they'd want to be kissed. I didn't know anything about that and just shook their hands. Queue the death knell.

The guys all thought I was really hitting home runs because I had so many different girls and I was certainly not going to disagree with them. When they asked about this one or that one, I replied that a gentleman didn't kiss and tell. In my case they didn't even kiss!

Cary Grant couldn't have put on a better act. I went to parties, took dates to clubs, and was seen at all the best places. Only I knew what a façade it was. 

Then it happened, there was this girl that everyone wanted and nobody came close to getting. I was at a party having a reasonably good time when she came over and started talking to me. I was a little shocked but went into my routine of being suave and above it all.

After a few minutes she said, “You are totally full of shit and are coming home with me tonight!” 

OK!!

And this is where the camera pans up into the sky and the music swells in romantic interludes …    



Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment