Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Day 78 - Hello

The hardest word in the English language to pronounce is oftentimes “Hello”

Harsh words to a friend, a separated sibling, someone from the past you've lost touch with, all can make saying that word very hard. I've been in that position, I'd moved away and lost contact with a family that befriended when I was young and irresponsible. I wanted to reach out and say Thank You but I didn't know where to start.

I agonized over what to do. What would I say? What would they say? Would they be mad I hadn't been more grateful? I felt guilty for doing nothing.

Finally, I drove to their house and knocked on the door. When they answered I managed “Hello” and waited for the hammer to drop. Instead, they welcomed me into their home as if time had never passed. We sipped coffee and talked about things as if I was there only a week ago.

We make up things in our minds about how it will play out. Too often we borrow trouble before it even happens. It will not turn out well every time but at least that would be closure.

It's an easy thing to put off but imagine if they weren't there when you finally made the call? What if they were no longer there when you tried to say “Hello”?



Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment