Thursday, February 25, 2021

Day 88 - HoSD

In 1976 I was working as a mechanic at Fun Bike Center in San Diego. The owner and I had a contentious relationship. He needed a good mechanic and I needed a good paycheck. He thought he could tell me what to do and I was sure that nobody could tell me what to do.

I got fired on a regular basis. At first I would load up my tool boxes and take them home. A few days later I would find an excuse to drop by the shop and the service manager would tell me to get back to work. Later it became such a ritual that I would merely push my tool boxes into a back corner so I didn't have to take them home.

On one occasion I actually got fired and rehired in the same sentence.

"You're a pain in the ass and you're fired, now get back to work!”

Mark, our fearless leader in the middle

That went on for a while until I got tired of the game and went to work at Honda of San Diego. Our service manager was an young guy who drank too much. If he hadn't come into the shop by 10am we would send the lot boy in the shop truck to pick him up. More than once he returned with the manager passed out in the back of the truck.

His most memorable moment was when he got into an argument with a customer on the phone. Suddenly he yelled, “Did you see that, that asshole hung up on me!” He immediately called the customer back and yelled, “Did you just hang up on me?!?! You don't hang up on me!! I hang up on you!!” And with that slammed the phone down on the receiver so hard we all thought he broke it. Needless to say we were all in uncontrollable hysterics.

I still have the small toolbox by my feet


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment