Sunday, February 22, 2015

Something to contemplate


While I'm finishing up a database certification course this week and digging out all of the @#$%! global warming in my driveway I've been thinking of why we do the things we do.

Until I get back in a couple of days I'd like you to think about these two quotes.
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation. What is called resignation is confirmed desperation. From the desperate city you go into the desperate country, and have to console yourself with the bravery of minks and muskrats. A stereotyped but unconscious despair is concealed even under what are called the games and amusements of mankind. There is no play in them, for this comes after work. But it is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things.”
from Thoreau's Walden
Alas for those that never sing,
But die with all their music in them.
from Oliver Wendell Holmes' "The Voiceless"
My thoughts on this in a couple of days.



Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment