Friday, December 5, 2014

Mexico - Day 9 - The long and (not very) winding road

The hotel had a much better than average breakfast and I was packed and ready to go earlier than normal. I stopped at the PeMex station to fill up and the attendant saved me some hunting around by pointing out the correct road, which was not the one I was going to take.



Along the way I stopped for more gas and found this motorcycle. Why anyone would want to name a motorcycle after one of the worst cities in the U.S. I have no idea but there it was.



This was a day of just riding and stacking up miles. The Sierra Madre was long gone in my mirrors and I was looking ahead to endless prairies. In my journal I noted that,
"This road is about as exciting as driving from Winnemucca to Elko Nevada."
For a while there was more road construction with little oncoming traffic so I was able to let the AT pull ahead and have some fun but otherwise it was just sit and ride.



At one point I pulled over to check my luggage straps (code for I had to pee) and met a rancher who was taking this road. We chatted for a while and I should have asked to see his ranch. I missed a few opportunities like that on the trip. I'll know better not to be so shy next time.



And on, and on ...



How boring was it? Watching all the digits on my odometer line up was one of the high points of my day!!



But it was beautiful as the sun was setting and I wound through some hills. I arrived in Cuatro Cienegas de Carranza while there was still plenty of light and was able to locate a hotel for the night. Modernish with WiFi, I was able to pick up my email and catch up with the world. 



Across the street was one of the ubiquitous open air restaurants and I sat down to enjoy my meal. We started chatting and one thing led to another. I whipped out the Fuji instant camera and once again we were all instant best friends. I knew this was going to be my last night in Mexico and couldn't think of a better way to spend it.



Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment