Monday, March 1, 2021

Day 92 - Hero

I suppose that kids nowadays think of Transformers, or comic book super heroes, or Harry Potter characters as the ideals they want to pattern their lives after. When I was a kid it was John Wayne or Steve McQueen. Manly men who could do anything, win any fight, and always get the girl in the end.


I, of course, was different. I wanted to be like James Garner. He was always cast as a lovable scamp who had a trick up his sleeve to foil his enemies rather than a mighty fist that could punch his opponent into next week. That appealed to to me because I was an awkward, skinny kid who couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag.

What I did have was a brain and a knack for seeing through people. I could figure out what they wanted and find ways to convince them that punching me was not it. A smart mouth got me into trouble but just as often got me back out of trouble.

Garner always got the girl, but I'd have to wait awhile for that. In the mean time I'd just do the “Aw Shucks” routine and tell them that hitting me would be more embarrassing for them than painful for me. Mostly, it worked.


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment