Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Day 93 - Scramblers

How do I love thee, let me count the ways …

Or

How do I love bikes, let me count them all …


I just moved into a new storage space that finally lets me keep them all together and frees up my garage for working on one without tripping over all the others. Best of all, it has doors at both ends so it's drive-in, drive-out. No fuss, No muss!


Best of all, there is room for more! Notice that only one of Beth's bikes has moved in. The rest of hers will double the count.


The ratty one on the right plus the last two in line (not counting the orphan with the rusty tank and no engine) are all Honda 250 Scramblers from the '60s. The one minus the engine has been owned by me or one of my friends since my days at Fun Bike Center in San Diego. That is to say, a very long time!


This engine has been a living room sculpture for the last year waiting to be installed in that bike. It was rebuilt by none other than my friend Bill Silver. He is probably the most knowledgeable person on vintage Hondas outside of Japan and has written several books on the subject. I like to think I know a lot about them but Bill puts me to shame.

The plan is to take the three bikes plus the parts I've accumulated over the past few years to restore my original bike and make one more complete bike for a daily rider. The goal is to do it this summer and ride it down to Baja.

This is the 50th anniversary of On Any Sunday and it only seems proper to ride the same bike that started the very first Baja 1000 down to Mexico.

Stay tuned!



Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment