Thursday, March 4, 2021

Day 95 - Movies

Here are some of my favorite movies:

Lawrence of Arabia – I was a kid when this came out and I was totally fascinated with Lawrence. The scope and grandeur of the film were enough to win 7 Academy awards, including Best Picture and Best Director. I read his biography and his book, The 7 Pillars of Wisdom. At the time I was sure that it was indicative of some future role for me to play in the world. It could possibly have inspired my love of the desert.

The Americanization of Emily – James Garner at his best as a “Practicing Coward” It's a spoof about the absurdity of war and the people who think dying is an act of courage. A young Julie Andrews gets to play a real person instead of the Mary Poppins persona she later assumed.

Dear Frankie – For every kid who has no father or was ignored by the one they had, this movie will tug at their heart. It's not sad but rather shows the real connections a family can have. It's not a romance movie but a movie about the depths of real love. Emily Mortimer and Gerard Butler give outstanding performances

Love Actually – Although I'm a sucker for Vanessa Hudgens Christmas movies, Love Actually is my favorite for the holidays. It's bitter-sweet with thrilling hits and heart breaking misses. In the end, it's all the things we've all been through. An all star cast but for me Bill Nighy steals the show.

Son of Rambow – Simply put, this is the kid you wanted to be when you were a kid. So much exuberance and energy that only kids could possibly have. If this doesn't put a smile on your face, you're dead!

Grosse Pointe Blank – School reunions can be deadly and assassination can be fun. John Cusack at his best. This movie has so many funny moments that I couldn't count them all if I tried. How often does a woman get a marriage proposal in the middle of a gun fight? Here's a question – is Joan Cusack the most underrated actress in Hollywood?

The Way Way Back – I usually avoid coming of age movies but this one hits the mark dead center bullseye! In fact it was almost too close to home for me in parts. Awkward and funny by turns but all very true to life. The water slide scenes are hysterical.


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment