Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Day 100 - Notes

When traveling I like to keep all sorts of notes. Where I stopped for lunch, how much gas I got in what town or village, maybe a quote from somebody I met along the way. I have all sorts of notebooks from trips, large and small, that I have kept through the years.

I keep threatening to transcribe them but I doubt I ever will. I started once but the computer I used is obsolete and the disks are not compatible with anything I have now.

Even when I tried it I could only half remember the context for many of the entries. I tried to annotate with remarks but that made the job all the more onerous and the project languished. I can type better and faster now so maybe I'll try again when I'm old and installed in some elder care facility.

The problem is that I'd rather be out filling up new notebooks instead of sitting at my computer pecking away while I drool on the keyboard. Besides, who would read any of it. It would be nice if there was an affordable voice to text editor that I could just talk to. I could read an entry and explain the circumstances. That might be interesting if accompanied with a couple of good stiff drinks.

I think there is a lot of personal and family history that is being lost for lack of writing it down. Once there were family Bibles that maintained a continuity through generations. Now there is fakebook and tictok that have all the persistence of dew in the desert. What will future generations think when all they have are videos of cats riding Roombas and pictures of people doing stupid things?

My recommendation is Rite in the Rain. I like the #372 lined paper for most of my notes and the #352 grid paper for diagrams or sketches. I keep them in a #200 binder, the lined paper in front and the grid paper in back so I can grab one and insert it into flow. I've found the C9200 cover is handy because it has pockets to tuck away tickets or cards that I want to save. It's a tidy way to keep things together and protect them.

Lastly I like the Fisher Bullet Space Pen to write with. I have a simple brass one that has taken a beating and lasted forever. It fits nicely into a pocket on the binder cover above. Over the years the sweat and grime from my hand has given it a nice patina.

Even if I, or anyone else, never read the notes, it's fun to write them down and capture an instant in time and of my life. It clarifies the moment and brings it into sharp focus. Writing it down helps me see things I often didn't even know I'd seen.


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment