Monday, March 8, 2021

Day 99 - Book

People often ask me about adventures and travel and what I might or might not recommend. In the summer. I say, “Just Go!”

In the winter it's a little different in the Great White North. I know that some hardy souls convert their bikes to winter sleds but I'm all for staying close to home where it's warm. Reading accounts of other's adventures is always a pleasant way to pass the time until spring returns.


My favorite adventure book has nothing to do with motorcycles. West With The Night by Beryl Markham is the book that hooked me on travel, especially in Africa.

Forget those two loonies and their camera crew, this is the real deal. She grew up training race horses in Kenya. She then learned to fly and was the first woman to cross the Atlantic east to west which is against the prevailing headwinds. Hers is the story of a life time.

It's a great book that's easy to read and hard to put down. No less than Ernest Hemingway said,

[she] can write rings around all of us who consider ourselves as writer.  

I've given away dozens of copies. As a loyal reader I'd be happy to send one to you too. Just drop me a note.


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment