Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Too many motorcycles and not enough time to ride them

Once upon a time I had one motorcycle. I rode it all the time. Jump on and go wherever I wanted. Then I got another motorcycle. One for the road and one for the dirt. That was the beginning of the end.

With one moto if something needs work you do it and go riding. With two, you jump on the one that is working until it needs work and then you have to fix both of them. 
This expands exponentially with the acquisition of the third, fourth, etc. If you have friends with motos you soon find that you are fixing theirs as well.

It just needs this one little thing
are the words of doom. It is rarely just that simple because you always notice just one other little thing and down the rabbit hole you go.

I had a friend who had a method to this madness. He was into vintage Harleys. 
  1. He had one waiting to come apart.
  2. One apart, waiting for parts.
  3. One with parts waiting to go back together.
  4. One that was together and he could ride until it was back to #1
  5. Plus a Honda Goldwing that never needed anything when all else failed
I just finished a friend's bike and he's in Montana for several days. My wife's bike is tuned up and ready to go but she can't ride for a couple of weeks. My VFR750 is on the lift waiting for carb work but the Africa Twin is sitting in the driveway ready to go.

Maybe I can sneak out and enjoy the day before somebody drops by with a problem.


Make my day, subscribe and tell a friend about this blog!

1 comment:

  1. So true. I'm down to 3 and Erika one. One is on the lift and the other is in the Catskills. The TA is ready to go after an oil change and chain lube. I already have the filter on a shelf. Always buy two. When you use the last one order two more. Like toilet paper.

    ReplyDelete