Sunday, July 21, 2024

Money Matters

There was a time when I was a happy-go-lucky beach bum party guy. I always managed to find the money to pay the rent on the house I shared with two other similar guys but for the most part the money in my pockets was all the money I had in the world. A 6-pack of beer was a big investment back then.

A beer and huevos rancheros for breakfast every morning, the job in a motorcycle shop, and partying down at the beach every night was my daily routine. Although I was having the best time of my life, I realised that I was going nowhere.

A call from a friend in Boston with an offer of a job made me think that a change in location might be just what I needed to break this nihilistic cycle. 

Soon a steady job and a few bucks in the bank lent some stability to my life. It got me thinking about the future and what plans I could make. Now that I had some money I wanted to keep it. At a friend's house I ran across the book, The Richest Man In Babylon. It opened my eyes as never before to the ease of keeping money and putting to work for you. There was no mumbo-jumbo or secret tricks that were unreasonable, just common sense that even I could understand.

Let's say you had a 6-pack and were going out for the evening. You would drink all six bottles. But what if you only took five bottles and left one at home. What if you did this five times? The sixth time you would have a "free" 5-pack to go out with and could put the money you would have spent in a piggy bank. Trust me, the difference in drinking 5 beers and 6 beers in neglidgeable.

This theory applies to everything; spend slightly less and save the difference. To make it simple just take 10% of everything you get and put it into your piggy bank. 10% of your paycheck, 10% of something you sold on eBay, 10% of anything that comes your way. It's painless and builds up quickly. It becomes a habit and you never miss it. Spend the 90% so you can enjoy life and save 10% to enjoy the future.



Make my day, subscribe and tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment