Saturday, May 4, 2019

DMT - Day minus 6 - You meet the nicest people ...

One of the greatest joys of traveling is the people you meet along the way. They have stories to tell; about themselves, their ancestors, and their area.

Carmen


In a little town in Mexico I meet the great, great, great granddaughter of Juan Bautista de Anza who was the founder of the city of San Francisco in 1776. She showed me her museo that honored her grandfather and the local history. It was serendipity of course but that is what travel is all about.



I do have a secret weapon for finding these gems. It's a Fuji Mini instant camera. It produces small, credit card sized, instant pictures that delight everyone.

Daniel

I take two pictures, I give one to the person and keep the other for myself. As the picture develops we have time to chat which gives us a moment to bond and share our experiences.

In Batopilas, in the bottom of the Copper Canyon, in Chihuahua, Mexico I took pictures of mothers with their children which might be the only record they would ever have of their hijas y hijos

Another time I was walking through a neighborhood when I was surrounded by a bunch of young guys. I didn't feel threatened, they were just fooling around amusing themselves by acting tough. I whipped out my camera and took a picture and handed it to them. Suddenly it was, "Take a picture of me and Pedro" or "me and Juanita." A half dozen photos later we were best friends and I was assured that I was welcome in their neighborhood any time I wanted to come back.

For this trip I'm taking enough film for 80 photos. I'm looking forward to the new friends I'll meet along the way.


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment