Sunday, June 16, 2019

Really Old Stuff



I rearranged my work area today and moved this toolbox over to the bench. A moment's reflection made me realize that it contains a micro history of my life.

I bought it used in 1968 when I got my first real mechanics job at Weymouth Honda south of Boston. I worked a deal with the Snap-On dealer to buy the basic wrenches and sockets on credit and slowly paid him off as pay checks came in.

The stickers for Honda of Boston, Honda City, and Boston Cycles are from the summers I worked in those shops as I went to UConn. They have all passed into history with many great stories if I had time to write them all down.

The upside down American flags is a protest against the Vietnam war that killed several of my friends.

The tools and sockets are from many eras. There are Metric sizes from working on Japanese motorcycles and Whitworth and British Standard from a time when I worked on Triumphs. There are SAE sets from the summers I worked on school buses with Floyd Chesbro. A great man who taught me that the most important tool in any toolbox is patience.

The same wrenches that I bought in 1968 are still in the drawers and still get used regularly. Good tools and good friendships last forever.



Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment