Sunday, September 18, 2016

At home in Utah

Several people have sent questions about whether the Beast made it to Utah with it's manifest of motorcycles and other stuff.


As you can see, it is at home in Tooele.


And the motorcycles are safely stored in the garage.

The trip was pretty uneventful except for the run from Grand Junction, CO to Helper, UT. I was getting pretty burnt out and wanted to push through after a short nap in Grand Junction. I queued up an audio book on my tablet and started listening as I got on I-70. 

I admit that I still call them Books-on-Tape from days past when they were a collection of cassette tapes for your dashboard player. They are a great way to pass the time on the highway when you are trying to get from Point A to Point B as painlessly as possible. 

I was listening to "Fly By Wire" as I rolled onto I-70 and vaguely remember turning north on US 6 at Green River. After that, nothing until I passed Helper and started up the climb to Soldier Pass. Jeez Louise, did I sleep through the whole thing?!?! I was up to Chapter 14 and had no recollection of the road or the story. Creepy!

The climb up the mountain is steep, tight and curvy, mostly two lanes with occasional passing lanes to let faster (and braver) drivers get by. I was certainly focused now as it was dark and Utah does not waste a lot of money on guard rails. They have this quaint philosophy that each person should take responsibility for their own life and suffer the consequences of their own stupidity. Darwin would be proud.

With a truck full of motorycycles and the trailer behind me I took my time and happily pulled over for people to pass me. I was tired but the road and the load had me attentive and alert. Once over the top the northern decent is a wider and gentler grade, much easer to navigate.

Back to level ground in Spanish Fork I was on familiar ground. US 6 links to I-15 and from there it's just a straight shot up to I-80 west. Then the last 25 miles were the same as I take to work and back every day. I got home at 3am and admit that I just pulled up, turned off the ignition, and went inside to go to bed. I think I woke sometime around noon.

Another successful road trip but I think I might break for a motel along the way next time. Every once in a while I'm reminded that I'm not 22 any more.


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment