Monday, March 11, 2019

DMT - Day minus 60 - My heads on the bench

Finally got all the tubes and hoses out of the way and just kept taking off things until it all got loose. Admittedly crude, but effective.


You can see two jacks under the bike. The swing arm pivot bolt is also the rear engine mounting point. Makes for a more rigid frame and better handling but is a real pain in the butt for taking the engine out.


The frame member comes off so you can get the engine out.


I don't have one of those clever time-lapse videos of the disassembly. It would only show how confused I was about what to do next.


You can't see it here but the shift shaft on the other side hangs up on the drive chain which has no master link. 


If I did this a couple of more times I think I could get the hang of it.
I'm glad I'm not paying myself by the hour!


All apart on the workbench waiting to be sent out for head work.


A few people have asked why I'm doing all this. Certainly not because I have too much money or spare time. The compression after the last trip to Baja and the Copper Canyon was only 125# instead of the factory specification of 175#. Time for a refresh.


In the morning I'll be making calls to find a shop that will do head work and then ordering parts from abroad.

Oh, the joy of owning an exotic bike!


Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment