Friday, March 15, 2019

DMT - Day minus 56 - Directions

The heads are on their way to the people at Hord Power. They are the experts on the Hawk GT family of Honda 52° v-twin engines. This includes the 500cc Ascot, the 600cc Transalp, the 650cc Hawk GT, and the 750cc Africa Twin, as well as an assortment of Shadow cruisers.


In the mean time there are plans to be made including where to go when we get there. Wherever that may be.


I'm a big fan of GPS but prefer old school paper maps. For one thing, a map gives you a much broader scope. For another, it gives you much better detail. Even Google Maps is limited by the size of your screen as you scroll up and down and zoom in and out. Plus I can make notes on a map and highlight trails and points of interest. I know people who have clamped a small laptop to their handlebars but you become a robot following a robot. Not my idea of adventure.

Another point, maps don't need batteries and don't break when you drop them. I carry a GPS as a backup when I need to know exactly where I am so that I can figure out where to go next or how far to get gas. Other than that it stays in my tank bag.

Right next to my trusty compass. Another, I don't need no stinking batteries, low tech gadget that has gotten me straightened out many times. This one has been with me for years and has always been ready to point me in the right direction. Good for finding north at dusk when I'm stetting up for a night star picture while I can still see what I'm doing.

A shout out to Mexico Maps. They have always been my go-to place for south of the border maps. Great selection and the service is unbelievable.



Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment