Saturday, April 27, 2019

DMT - Day minus 13 - Very Happy Tires

Getting down to the wire with all the details that need to be checked off. Like new tires for the Rally.


This is the Dunlop 606 which is my go-to tire for off-road adventures. It is described as a 90/10 tire which means that it's designed for 90% off-road and 10% paved road. I've found that it handles just fine on pavement as long as you recognize its limits. Off pavement it digs in and holds like it was geared to the ground. Wet, dry, soft, or hard; it handles it all and keeps on going. As a bonus I find that it wears great. I'll gladly pay a little extra knowing that I'm going to get to wherever I'm going.


Sometimes bad things happen so that good things will happen which will prevent bad things from happening. Got all that?

Taking the front wheel off to get the front tire replaced was a bit of a challenge. I had to wait for the rear tire to be completed before I could work on the front end since I don't have one of those professional center lifts. After reassembling the rear end I jacked up the front end only to find that it takes a 14mm hex wrench. Something that I don't have. I have a lot of tools but not that one.

That was the bad thing. The good thing is that I was able to find a 14mm hex socket at Home Depot. It came as part of a set but I was not in a position to complain. So back home the tool worked, the wheel came off, and the dealer said it would be ready by Monday.

The bad thing that this prevented is the possible need to fix a flat tire in the middle of nowhere with no 14mm hex wrench. I never had a Honda that needed that tool and it would be virtually impossible to remove the axle without it. But now I have one! 

Somebody watches out for me and I'd really like to thank them and buy them a beer.



Make my day, tell a friend about this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment